This year’s Mille Lacs Health System flu shot campaign is called “Be a Superhero: Get Your Flu Shot.” Why should you make a flu shot part of your fall wellness plan?
- You’re not much of a hero if you spend at least one week in bed, and sometimes two, with flu illness or complications. Wouldn’t you rather use your vacation days to do something fun?
- You’re not much of a hero if you think protecting your family, friends, and colleagues isn’t important.
- You are a hero when you protect people who are vulnerable to catching flu. Older people, young children and babies, and people whose immune systems are compromised can get the flu shot but may not build up the type of immunity to it that they need to fight it properly, like healthy people can. Then in comes you, who says you “never get sick” so you see no reason to get vaccinated. And though your body is doing an okay job of fighting off the flu, these vulnerable people won’t be able to.
- Think of this fact: It takes from 1 to 4 days for symptoms to show up once you’ve caught the virus. Adults can be contagious from the day before symptoms begin through 5 to 10 days after the illness starts. What this means is that you could be infectious and not even know it. Meanwhile, you’re kissing that baby, hugging your grandma, putting your hand on that shopping cart, and guess who’s getting that virus passed on to them?
- Hospitalizations and death from flu and flu complications are real. Last year’s flu season lasted longer than it has in a decade (October through mid-May) unusually marked by two separate waves of influenza A sickness.
- Join the heroes at Mille Lacs Health System, who last year had a 96% vaccination rate. Protect and defend your immune system and everyone else’s by getting your flu shot.