MLHS is requesting that you partner with us in medication safety. Not knowing all the facts about your medications can place you at risk and you need to protect yourself! MLHS is initiating a campaign to encourage all of our patients and their families to know their medications. Here are some ways that you can become a strong partner:
- Keep a current list of all your medications in your purse or wallet. This should include the name and dosage.
- Know the reason why you are taking a medication.
- Know possible side effects or allergic reactions to watch out for.
- Bring a complete list to all of your healthcare appointments and/or a hospitalization.
- When you receive a new medication, update your medication list. Don’t be afraid to ask your doctor or pharmacist questions to help you learn about your medications.
- Remember some over-the-counter medications, vitamins and herbal supplements can interact with your prescription meds. Consult your doctor and also keep these items on your medication list.
Remember the 3 R’s
All medicines, prescription and nonprescription, have RISKS as well as benefits.
RESPECT the power of your medicine and the value of proper use.
Take RESPONSIBILTY for learning about your medications and keeping an accurate medication list.