Helping to bring back quality of life
A short-term geriatric mental health unit in Central Minnesota.
The Senior Care Unit at Mille Lacs Health System strives to provide optimum healthcare for seniors age 55 and older who are experiencing mental health difficulties. These include:
- Sadness and depression
- Being overly anxious or nervous
- Aggressive or agitated behavior
- Severe self-neglect
- Having hallucinations or delusions
- Social withdrawal and isolation
- Losing the will to live
The Senior Care Geriatric Psychiatry Unit at MLHS can also help:
- behavioral disturbances associated with Alzheimer’s and other forms of dementia
- manage psychotropic medications and stabilize the individual
- evaluate cognitive disorders in the elderly, as well as perform psychiatric evaluation
The unit is a 10-bed facility offering short-term inpatient care where our Senior Care Unit treatment team helps individuals in a relaxed, nurturing environment. Each patient is cared for by our interdisciplinary team specifically skilled in the acute mental health needs of the geriatric population.
Headed by our board-certified psychiatrist and Medical Director Dr. William Orr, the team also includes consulting physicians, 24 hr. nursing staff, social services, activity therapies, and most importantly the patient, their family and/or support system.
How is a patient accepted into the unit?
Referrals from MN and surrounding states are considered for possible admission 24/7 by reviewing referral information and speaking to the individual and /or responsible caregivers. Upon acceptance for admission, an in-depth assessment is made to review causes and treatments. Then an individual plan for on-going care is created by the team. A typical stay is 1 – 2 weeks.
Contact the unit for more information at 320-532-2750.